COVID-19: Latest information - Click here

What different types of funding are available for people in need of care?

What type of benefits, funding and allowances are available to people in need of care?

Funding care in a care home can seem daunting and complex. The type of funding available from the Government or NHS depends on a number of things.

What determines the type of funding I can receive?

There are a number of factors that will be taken into account and determine whether you are eligible or able to receive funding. These factors include:

  1. Where the care is being received – i.e. is it received in a private home or in a care home setting
  2. The social and health care needs
  3. The ability to perform certain ‘activities of daily living’
  4. The financial situation


The complexity of the individuals’ needs will determine whether different types of funding work on their own or in conjunction with each other.

There are various benefits and allowances or NHS payments that can also be factored into the mix of funding options:

  • The Local Authority may make a contribution towards some or all of the weekly fees. The amounts paid will vary across the UK from LA to LA and are determined by local eligibility criteria and the assessed financial situation of the individual.
  • NHS Continuing Health care also often referred to as CHC funding 
  • Funded Nursing Care, commonly shorted to 'FNC'.  FNC payments are made on a weekly basis. Although this is a UK wide benefit, the weekly amount awarded is determined by the local country.
  • Personal Care (Scotland only). Personal Care is available to Scottish residents aged 65yrs and over. The weekly figure is reviewed each April. This benefit once awarded replaces Attendance Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance. The Attendance Allowance is available to people aged 65 and over and is based on application and specific health and mobility based criteria. This allowance will stop after 28 days if you move into a care home and are relying on public funding for your care.
  • Personal Independence Payment (formerly known as Disability Living Allowance) is paid to those people under state retirement age. There are two components to this benefit a daily living part and a mobility element 

All the above benefits and allowances are subject to their own rigorous and separate assessments.

Advice about paying for care

It’s important to get professional advice on the best way to fund the cost of care and we suggest that you take advice from a care fees expert to make sure that you have explored all the options available to you. 

In order to make life easier we have contacted a national care fees planning specialist, Symponia, who are dedicated to the financial issues of later life, in particular the payment of care fees. Read more about how Symponia can help you and download their helpful handbook.

All information contained in this page was correct as at 20/4/22*

Benefits you can claim when living in a care home

Find a local care home near you

Click here
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size