Here at Havencourt Care Home in Stonehaven, we know that money is naturally one of the biggest concerns when deciding on a care plan. How will it be paid for? Who pays for it? How much will it cost?

We know it can be confusing, so we hope the following guide on fees and funding will be helpful when deciding what to do. We also strongly recommend speaking to your social worker, doctor or family solicitor to answer any further questions.

Who pays for care?

The costs of staying in a care home are usually divided into three:

  • Nursing care - provided by a qualified nurse
  • Personal care - such as help with dressing, eating and washing, provided by a carer
  • Accommodation - including food, heating and living costs

In some cases, financial assistance is available. It's important to understand what that help is and how to get it.

In Scotland, your local authority may pay for the cost of your residential or nursing-home care if your capital is below £16,000, the government-set lower capital limit for Scotland. However, you still have to contribute your income towards your care, minus a small amount each week that you keep for personal expenses.

When you have your financial assessment, your local authority looks at how much capital you have. Local authority assistance with care-home fees is not available if you have capital above the upper limit of £26,000.

Capital includes:

  • Money held in a bank or building society
  • Stocks and shares
  • National savings certificates
  • Premium bonds
  • Cash
  • Trusts - the nature of the trust, as set out in the trust deed, will determine how it is taken into account in the financial assessment
  • Land
  • Property - there are some circumstances where property will be disregarded from the financial assessment

If you're assessed as having capital above the upper limit, you will not receive help from your local authority with paying for care-home fees above any assessed entitlement to free personal and nursing care. This is known as "self-funded" care.

If you have capital below the lower limit, you will receive local authority help. This is known as "publicly funded" care.

If you have capital between the lower and upper limit, you will be assessed as having "tariff income" of £1 for every £250 or part of £250 between the two limits.

Need help with your decision?

At Havencourt Care Home, we're happy to talk to you about the costs of care, and the processes involved in paying for care. We'll also fully discuss our fees before admission.

Contact us

Whether you decide to stay at Havencourt Care Home or another Four Seasons care home, we strongly advise you to seek expert financial help before making any final decisions.

Looking for more information?

Here are some sites you may find useful: