Meadowvale Care Home in Bathgate is currently fundraising for a motion activated projector for residents, which will cost £7000. Good progress has been made and so far the home has raised almost £3000!
The OMI sensory mat is mobile and can be used in various location around the home, as well as by residents and families to have special quality time together.
This valuable piece of equipment has powerful visual/aural sensory stimuli and can help to maintain and improve:
- Neurological Pathways
- Language and Communication skills
- Coordination and physical ability
- Emotional health and wellbeing
It will also give residents the opportunity to:
- Actively take part rather than passively watch
- Socialise and enjoy meaningful activities together
- Stretch, compete, think and be challenged
- Unwind with a physical calming activity.
Recent neurological findings continue to support the claims that regularly involving people in activities which stimulate movement, communication and mental engagement will always be beneficial and ultimately enhance their quality of life. Care professionals have witnesses positive changes in the following areas in those who regularly use the OMI system:
- Emotional stability
- Overall mood/outlook
- Sense of self-worth/belonging
- Physical effort/energy levels
- Social involvement and interaction
- Ability to share and enjoy group activities
Meadowvale has a number of events planned for this year to help reach the target, and are grateful for all the support from families, relatives, friends and staff members to date.
Date published: 14 June 2019
Share this article: