Here at Osbourne Court Care Home in Baldock, we know that money is naturally one of the biggest concerns when deciding on a care plan. How will it be paid for? Who pays for it? How much will it cost?

We know it can be confusing, so we hope the following guide on fees and funding will be helpful when deciding what to do. We also strongly recommend speaking to your social worker, doctor or family solicitor to answer any further questions.

Who pays for care?

The costs of staying in a care home are usually divided into three:

  • Nursing care - provided by a qualified nurse
  • Personal care - such as help with dressing, eating and washing, provided by a carer
  • Accommodation - including food, heating and living costs

In some cases, financial assistance is available. It's important to understand what that help is and how to get it.

In England, if you've been assessed as needing a care-home place and your assets are valued below £23,250, you should be entitled to financial support from your local authority. If you have capital below £14,250, you will be entitled to maximum support. However, you will still contribute your income, such as a pension, less £23.90 per week, which you keep for personal expenses.

If you have capital between £14,250 and £23,250 you will also pay a capital tariff of £1 per week for each £250 or part thereof between these two amounts. If your assets, which may include your home, are above £23,250 you will - in most cases - be expected to pay privately for your own care.

Choosing care

If your local authority is paying for your care, you can still choose where to live; it doesn't have to be in the same county as the one paying for your care. When you choose a care home it should meet your needs as assessed by the local authority, meet their criteria, and not cost any more than they would usually pay.

If your care-home costs were more than your local authority would cover, you may be able to top up the fees through a third party, such as a member of your family. You are not allowed to top up the fees yourself if your capital is below £23,250.

Nursing care

If you're assessed as needing nursing care, the NHS contributes to the costs, whether it's you or your local authority paying for your care. This is called the registered nursing care contribution (RNCC).

This funding is not paid directly to you. The NHS will pay it either directly to the care home or via the local authority.

If your nursing needs are very high, or you need nursing care due to a long-term medical condition, you may be eligible for fully funded NHS continuing care. This will be determined during your assessment for nursing costs.

Need help with your decision?

At Osbourne Court Care Home, we're happy to talk to you about the costs of care, and the processes involved in paying for care. We'll also fully discuss our fees before admission.

Contact us

Whether you decide to stay at Osbourne Court Care Home or another Four Seasons care home, we strongly advise you to seek expert financial help before making any final decisions.

Looking for more information?

Here are some sites you may find useful: